|Moore Park History|
The MPRA published Historic Moore Park as a ‘walking tour’ history of the neighbourhood in 1984, under the editorial leadership of Donna Baker. This living history was then updated in 2004 by editor Beth Marley and her committee to include additional anecdotes about Moore Park, along with photographs and other relevant findings. The monograph has been enjoyed by the community and in 2005, it was nomicated for a Heritage Toronto Award.
To order copies of this book ($10), please click here and complete the appropriate section of the membership form.
Favourite quotes from the book:
“The air of country is here, kept constantly pure by the oxygen from the forest, so invigorating, so beneficial to the city of man, who, unless he was aware of it, would never think that busy King Street was but three miles away, and that the nearby Yonge Street cars could wisk him downtown in a few minutes.”
On Moorevale Park: “Mrs. Cooper then urgently took up the cause for a community park. She urged that the city buy the remaining land, which was now held by a real estate firm and valued at $65,000. She repeatedly carried the issue to City Council and the subject became a controversial one. Finally, on Monday, January 26, 1925, the purchase was approved by Council, which passed it 23 to 4. The park was opened with a carnival and games, sponsored by the Moore Park Rate Payers Association.”
“A noteworthy architectural feature of the present Whitney school is the pre-cast concrete louvers covering the exterior of the classroom windows. Positioned precisely using scientific data from the Dunlap Observatory, these louvers are intended to cut out direct sunlight and glare in the classrooms and eliminate solar heat. It is believed that this special element was used for the first time in Ontario in the desgin of Whitney.”